Book Reviewed By Vathukkat Krishnan Kutty.
This book was written by D.K.Hari and D.K.Hemagiri of Bharat Gyan and published by Sri Sri Publications Trust, Art Of Living is dwelling upon the historicity of the legendary Rama.
It gives a mass compilation of evidence, historical, archaeological, literary, astronomical and chronological. It is an integrated holistic approach that combines traditional data and scientific validations along with a new technique of dating-Archaeo-Astronomy.
Ayodhya is on the banks of Sarayu River, a tributary of the Ganga. Rama And Sita after their wedding have lived 12 years there. Panchavati is in present-day Nasik. Kishkindya is near the present-day Hampi in Karnataka. It is in Rameswaram, That they build The Nala (Rama) Setu Or Adam’S Bridge To cross over to Lanka.
Lava And Kusa twin sons of Sita learnt Ramayana From Valmiki and narrated it to Rama. They made it popular and the Epic Poem Of Ramayana was passed from generation to generation as the history or Itihasa of the land.
The word Itihasa may be spelt as ITI+HA+ASA meaning it thus happened. In Ancient Indian Literature, only two works are termed as Itihasa being Valmiki’S Ramayana and Vyasa’S Mahabharata. It is a Biography that showcases and highlights the attributes of the noblest king of Valmiki’S time. The Itihasa is a chronicle of events and had a great role to play in documenting History. It was written in the form of a story. Valmiki Ramayana is a historical biography because the author of the Original Ramayana was a contemporary of Rama and it is stated in the text. Valmiki was the guardian to the wife and sons of Rama. It is primarily written in the present tense. Later versions of Ramayana are not called Itihasa. They are known as kavyas or beautiful poetry.
Warren Hastings, The Governor Of India was influenced by Indian knowledge systems and practices and it was termed Brahminisation Of English Men. Not only Hastings many English men deputed to India started advocating the cause and systems of India. To get control of the situation the British wanted to demean India’s culture, history and knowledge.
In 1813, Mr. James Mill And Mr. Charles Grant wrote History Of India and classified most of the literature of India as mythological. They have not visited India. They classified the texts Mythological on four grounds.
- The date of the creation of the earth fixed by Reverend James Ussher The Archbishop Of Ireland, as 23rd October 4004 BC 9 AM.so texts before this timeline was considered mythical or imaginary. Modern Cosmology and traditional Archaeological findings refute this theory of the origin of the earth.
- The colonial British held that Alexander defeated Porus in 326 BCE. and spread culture and civilized thought in India. now it is proved that Porus defeated Alexander.
- The Aryan Invasion Theory.-Now it has been dismissed by western historians themselves, as a figment of concoction by the British to justify the occupation of India. The Aryan- Dravidian Classification has proved to be racially incorrect. The ENtire Indian population belong to the same race, despite their differences in features and complexions.The Terminology Of Aryan And Dravidian are based on geographical division.
- Genealogies In The Puranas Are Incoherent and so imaginary and mythical. In puranic texts focus was on human achievements in the light of Dharma. In Sanskrit the word Mithia means untrue. Any Text which is termed mythology it means the contents mentioned therein are untrue or figments of imagination.
This History Book was the syllabus for English administrators who have to pass through Helebary College, England. This book was introduced to the educational institutions of India to disorient the Indian mind. so present-day Indians doubt the authenticity of their knowledge, literature and history.
In the case of Ramayana, the sequence, events and deeds of various kings in the lineage corroborate well with the other texts of the land. This Solar Dynasty family tree does not stop with Rama but goes on to 30 generations and more after Rama. Brihat Bala the king on the lineage of Rama take part in the Mahabharata war with the side of Duroydhana. There is a specific reference to the personages of the lineage and their kingdoms in the Vedas, too.
Al- Biruni, The Persian Chronicler In His Chronicle Kitabul Hind mentions Rama as a historical person. He mentions Rama Setu,(Adam’S Bridge) In Page 122 Of Kitabul Hind.
Begum Hamida Banu, wife of Mughal emperor Humayun has commissioned pictorial text on Ramayana considering it as a historical text of her land. Hamida Banu’S Son Akbar also had a Ramayana commissioned in the Persian language.
Abdur Rahiman Khan-L-Khan a courtier in the court of Akbar has commissioned pictorial Ramayana.
Aligarh Muslim University has also a Valmiki Ramayana in the Persian language.
Professor Allama Mohamad Iqbal the renowned poet of Pakistan describes Rama as India’s Iman-E-Hind meaning noblest of Indians.
The Three Texts Of Sangam Literature- Agananuru, Purananuru And Silappatikaram, Mentions Rama from a historical perspective. In tamil language encyclopaedia of Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka, the reference to Rama and the bridge is from a historical perspective.
In the present city of Nasik, the name Nasik have its historical origin in the word “NAS” meaning nose. The name Pancha Vati is derived from panache meaning 5 and Vati meaning Vata or Peepal Trees. There is also a cave labyrinth called Sita Gufa in Panchavati where Rama and Sita stayed. It is from here Ravana abducted Sita. Kishkindia is near Hampi in Karnataka. Sugreeva stayed in Risya Mukha Hills, on the banks of Pampa Thungabadhra River.
People of the forest or Vana is called Vana-Nara. Forest tribes of Bellary called themselves Vanara people and used Monkey as a symbol in their Totem pole and Flag. The Jaina Ramayana
Also mentions a banner of the vanara called Vanara Dwaja, Vanara Flag. Anjanadri Hills Near Hospet is considered the birthplace of Hanuman.
Many sites are forming a geographic trail in India and Sri Lanka connected with Ramayana. Ashoka Vatika is today identified as the place called Sita Eliya. This is mentioned in Outlines Of Ceylon History By Donald Obejlsekera. There is a satellite image of a bridge connecting Dhanuskodi in India and Thalai Mannar in Sri Lanka.
Archaeo-Astronomy the new branch of scientific dating based on astronomy uses Planaetorium Software. There are more than 50 such different software available to us. The literature of Indian civilization is characterized for being embedded with night sky observations.
Shri Pushkar bhat nagar in his book “Dating the era of Lord Ram” gives the date for
- Shriram Navami as 10th January 5114 BCE .at 12.30 pm.
- Birth Of Bharata 11th January 5114 BCE AT 4.30 AM. In Ramayana Text, It is mentioned that Bharata was born 16 hours after Rama. Rama was 25 years when he was sent to exile.
- Coronation eve date 4th January 5089 BCE.
- Vali’s slaying-3rd April 5076 BCE.
- Hanuman’S Visit To Lanka- 12th September 5076 BCE-Lunar Eclipse.
- Hanuman’S Return From Lanka-14th September 5076 BCE.
- Start Of The Army March To Lanka-20th September 5076 BCE.
The City of Lanka is perched on the summit of the Trikuta Mountain. Vanara army reaching, Ravana fort on the hill called Suvael after crossing the sea, on full moon night 12th October 5076 BCE.
Death of Megh Nath- 24th November 5076 BCE.
Some of the pioneering scholars who have tried to date Ramayana astronomically are the following.
- Professor K.S.Raghavan- Madras.
- Dr.P.V.Varthak- Pune.
- Shri P.V.Mendki- Kalyan-Bombay.
- Shri.Narsingh Rao.
- Shri N.P.Ramadurai-Thanjavur.
Ram Setu is the only archaeological evidence because of elapsing of more than 7200 years and continuous Civilization. Nala biological descendant of Vishwa Karma, Piling different varieties of trees and then large boulders followed by small stones created a causeway over the sea in 5 days. It was made on a natural sea ridge, a natural outcrop from the seabed. The Nala Setu lasted for the next 6400 years. In the year 1480 CE there was a major storm that washed away portions of the bridge. The dilapidated remaining became unusable. This is recorded in the manual of madras presidency. Written by C.D Maclean in 1902. It is also shown in Tamil Nadu Gazette. It is one of the oldest known structures in the world.
The construction of the bridge is mentioned in the following inscriptions.
- Tiruvalangadu Plates-Rajendra Chola 1 1018-1048 CE.
- Krishna Deva Raya Of Vijaya Nagar Empire- inscription dated Saka 1430(1508CE) available in
- Epigraphica India Volume 1 1892 PAGE 363-366.
- The Parantaka Chola Coins -907 CE.
- The King Of Ramanathapuram Setupati( Guardian Of The Bridge Coins Ramanad King).
- The Yazhpanaqmarya Chakraborthy Kings Of Jaffna 1284-1597 Ce Issued Series Of Coins.With Word Setu Mentioned In It.
- The Rulers Of Nallur Near Jaffna 13Th To 17 Th Century have also issued coins with Setu inscribed on that.
- Travelogues of Al-Biruni, Marco Polo Of Venice, Ludo Vico De Varthema an Italian traveller
- The Royal Asiatic Society Of Bengal 1799 and many travelogues and records have mentioned the same. The Masses of Rock by Baldaeu, The rows of Cliffs By Becker, The Great Modern Dam charts are some of them.
- It is shown in MAPS like French Map Of South India 1723
- Raman Coil- Malabar Bowen Map Netherland 1747
- James Rental Map (First Surveyor General Of East India Company And The First Carto Grapher Of India)
Steven Survey Report Map-1763. It was Stevens who gave the name Palk Straits or Palk Bay to the surrounding areas of Rama Setu (Adams Bridge) in honour of his superior Robert Palk of Government of Madras.
The survey copy available in Tamil Nadu Archives (2) Survey Of India- Headquarter In Dehradun.
The British planned to construct a railway line on this dilapidated bridge-Imperial Gazetteer of India, C.D.Maclean Report of 1902.
Sri Lankan Muslims named the bridge Aadhaam after their first Islamic leader Aadhaam who walked over this bridge by foot from India to Lanka and the British for their convenience called it Adams Bridge. It is the earliest and largest carbon-fibre reinforced civil engineering structure known to mankind and which needs to be protected as a world heritage site.-Prof.Malcolm P.R.Right Of He London University.
In a total of 183 pages, there are as many colour pictorials depicting different aspects of Historicity Of Rama. This book will be an asset to any Bharatiya who prides in his cultural antecedents.
Please Visit www.bharatgyan.com FOR further information on interesting subjects.